Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Zemanta Button Says Get Inspired

How am I supposed to work under these conditions?  It's a cold, dreary, majorly windy day outside and inside I have a comfy couch, 2 warm, fluffy dogs and an afghan.  And on my desk I have my choice - 3 brand new books that just arrived this morning... or 3 days worth of articles to write for a client.  Now I ax ya, which would YOU choose on a day like today?

What's a girl to do on a day like today?  When I woke up this morning it was with the best of intentions.  I was going to put on a pot of coffee, take the dogs out and then dive right into my work.

But the weather outside is frightful, and my couch and dogs and afghan are so delightful!  And these books!  How can I work with 3 brand new books sitting on my desk?  The covers are still shiny and they've never even been opened yet.  They're sitting there begging me to come, snuggle up on the couch and READ.

I'm afraid if I don't heed their call I'll just get all involved in my work again, being the work-a-holic that I am, and I'll never get around to reading these crisp, new books.  How can anyone who enjoys reading even think about work at a time like this?!

Unfortunately, I'm such a book lover that they don't even have to be new to pull me away from my desk.  Right this very moment there are two old-time favorites sitting on the kitchen counter next to the coffee maker.  One by Stephen King and the other by Koontz.  Both already in the process of being read - again. While they're not quite as near at hand as the 3 new books, I hear them calling out to me all the same.

And let's not even get started on the emails I need to answer today.  I know there are at least 2 from editors, asking if I'd like to write a couple of book reviews.  I'd LOVE to dig into these books, too.  More new books, by new authors, about new and interesting characters, begging me to come, snuggle up and READ.

How am I supposed to work under these conditions?  How am I supposed to stay motivated to work on articles about laminated kitchen counters and copywriting when I have all of these lovely books doing everything within their power to pull me to the couch, where I can snuggle up with the dogs and the afghan and settle in for a warm, cozy, lazy day of reading?






Oh.  Yeah.  That works, too.......
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment